Monday, August 18, 2014

Steampunk Granny meets Snapchat

                                                                         
 
I have nine grandchildren, who have accepted me one way or another into their inner circle. That is a big deal to me. I feel blessed that my grandchildren trust me enough to make me their confidant when they need to talk or ask for my advice; a big deal!
                                                                                 
My oldest grandson is a marine and now that he is living at Camp Lejeune, I don’t get to talk to him that often and so I value any and all communication from him...that being said let me tell you about the crazy stuff I do receive from #1 grandson.

Just recently, I received a smart phone and I can now do snapchats with it. My twelve year old grandson had to teach me how to use snapchat and after taking pictures of my thumb several times, I think I have it down pat...maybe.
                                                                                

 
Anyway, I would send snapchat pictures to Jimmy just to remind him that granny was still kicking and he would reply with a picture of him. He also added me to his twitter friends and his special circle of Facebook friends, which is such an honor...except when I receive certain messages, like:

You can imagine my surprise when one night a few months ago, I heard my smart phone give a little chirp and when I checked I saw that I had received a snapchat message from Jimmy. It was 1:30 a.m. and I was up because I was writing a recap of “The Walking Dead”, but what was Jimmy sending me at this ungodly hour? I opened the snapchat message to see a photo of some lap dancer apparently performing for my grandson....strange...why would Jimmy send this to me?
                                                                              
   
I messaged him and asked, “Was I supposed to receive this?”

No reply. But, the next day on facebook he did mention to his inner circle that he accidently sent me a certain photo and of course all his friends teased him. I commented, “If this is the only way I can keep contact with the kid, I’ll take what I can get.” 

I’m not kidding about keeping in touch with #1 grandson. This kid hates to write or talk on the phone so since I have an open mind, I overlook a lot of the stuff that seems to filter down to me through Jimmy and his fellow marines. But...and this is a big but, sometimes the stuff that gets to me is a bit weird. I know what you asking yourself. How weird could it be, especially since she kept her cool about the lap dancer?
                                                                             

I’m not sure if this video is a takeoff on the Alien franchise, but there was a man in a pool, an innocent female bystander and a body part that resembled the “Alien” and it was hungry. That's all I'm saying without a lawyer! 
                                                                      

I messaged him, “Was Granny supposed to see this?” His friends were probably afraid that I would come through the phone and kill him, in fact, most of their replies hinted at this possible situation. But, I didn’t say another word about the video.

Jimmy had an emergency leave and was able to come home for his paternal grandmother’s funeral. As soon as he saw me he gave me a big hug and asked, “Granny, are you mad at me? I’ll take you off the inner circle so you don’t get that stuff anymore.”

“Like hell you will. Keep me in the inner circle. It’s my only way of keeping up with you and making sure you’re doing okay.”
                                                                         
Was I wrong? Should I have admonished him? NO!!!! I’m a big girl and I’ve been there and done that and I’m not going to let a silly video fuss up my feathers, especiallly when there are worse things going on in the world and my grandson along with his young friends might be sent to war because the adults in the world can’t sit down and talk without flinging bombs left and right.
                                   Granny with six of the nine desperadoes                                                         

Like I said at the beginning, I have nine grandchildren and I want to be that place that they can come to with all their good, bad and ugly secrets...this is what grandmothers do.

Keep on messaging me Jimmy, granny loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment