Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Finding Yourself

                                                          

I’m not your typical granny and, my grandchildren are more comfortable introducing me to the music, literature and trends of their world faster than they will with their parents. That means that I am introduced to the world of art and fashion by my adult granddaughters and I get to drive my adult and teenaged grandsons around with Eminem blasting on the speakers while they talk martial arts, politics, and the Assassins Creed video game with me.
                          
What I found interesting is that I really understood what my grandkids were into with their music, fashion and outlook on life. You won’t be selling these kids the same crap that was sold to us. They are savvy about what’s going down both environmentally, economically and politically and I don’t think our religious leaders, our world leaders or the GOP understands this. They will come 2016.
                                                           
I like some of Eminem’s music, not all, but some. This young man has something to say and maybe we should listen. People are angrier than ever before. Families are falling apart. Drugs are one reason and missing fathers are another. Jobs are being sent overseas in order for Corporations to hide their income in foreign banks and, the music shows the desperation that is felt by the young.
There is one song of Eminem’s that I particularly like called Lose Yourself. Now I am going to use parts of the song to make a point on how Eminem is actually encouraging his fans to go beyond what they've been dealt in this life.
                                                          

The song was released as the first single from the soundtrack to his 2002 movie 8 Mile which was directed by Curtis Hanson and stars Eminem, Kim Basinger, Brittany Murphy and Mekhi Phifer. The film is about rap and about trying to make it in a world that looks down on people who don’t fit the mold. Here is information on both the film and the song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lose_Yourself

I recently was at an event in New Jersey for the Pennsauken High School on careers. I had the opportunity to meet with and chat with some pretty amazing young people. They know what they want to do.They want to make the world a better place. I apologized to each and every one of them for the mess my generation and their parents' generation left for them to clean up. How do we expect our children to grow up to be honorable when Congress members behave so badly. How do we expect our children to think peacefully, when world leaders and our very own Congress members want to jump into every war that comes down the road?
                                                         

Our children will need to find their way in a confusing and angry world. Should they even try? I think you'll be surprised by how smart our future generation is.

Eminem from Lose Yourself:
Look, if you had, one shot, or one opportunity
to seize everything you ever wanted. In one moment
would you capture it, or just let it slip?
Yo

I spoke with young men and women who want to save the world, but many of them don't have money for college. The major reason being that America's middle class has been dismantled by greed. And, let's be really honest about this; the price of attending college is a nightmare for both the middle class and the poor. Shame on us! Are these kids giving up? Has our greed foiled these young people who are our future and our only hope?

Hell no! Most of the kids I spoke to said that they will find a way to attend a college. A lot of them are joining the military because they want to serve our nation and in return, get a good education. I have two grandsons in the military now doing the same thing. Jimmy is in the U.S. Marine Corps and when he gets out, he wants to be a State Trooper. Josh is in the U.S. Navy and when he gets out, he wants to work for Elon Musk and Space X.

I told each and every one of these students to never allow anyone to destroy their dreams and hopes for a better world. I also told them that everything is possible if you believe in yourself. We are not losing ourselves. We are finding ourselves.

I'll end this post with another part of Eminem's song that I hold as my mantra and I will share it with all my readers to claim, no matter what age you are. I'll go one step further and say that it's never too late to take that shot; to live the dream; to heal the earth. Yo!

Eminem from Lose Yourself:
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime (yo)

Here is the video with lyrics included.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment