Friday, January 20, 2012

Learning to Fly

     When I go for my long walks around the lake, I have a favorite tune which I listen to on my mp4, Learning to fly by Tom Petty. I love the song and consider it my battle cry.

     Since I retired two years ago, I've been involved in many projects, all important to me( good) but very time consuming (bad), and I don't get enough sleep. I'm a writer, working on my book and I blog. I belong to a wonderful writer's group and try to make most of their get togethers, which are very helpful for a newbie like me. Now you would think the writing and the blogging, along with me babysitting a most lovable child, housework and spending time with the grandchildren would be enough to fill my life, but no I have this desire to right the wrongs of the world.

     I advocate for Unicef and I donate monthly. I would like to do more, but...time and life interfere. Same with fighting human trafficking, I share any updates from Somaly mam with my facebook friends in order to educate all, on the horrors of this heartbreaking crime. I share all my updates from End Modern Slavery Now and Homeland's Blue Campaign which is also aimed at fighting the trafficking of humans. My nexp post will list the signs to look for if you suspect trafficking taking place in your own neighborhood. This important information was sent to me by End Modern Slavery Now.

     A couple of posts back I also mentioned zombies because they will be featured in my second book of the trilogy but... they will be different than your run of the mill walking rotting bodies. On researching zombies, I became aware of this amazing group called Zombie Squad. Check them out they give advice on how to prepare for any major disaster. My father, if he were still alive, would have become a member. He survived the great depression and always taught his four children to stock away supplies and never count on government coming to your aid, Katrina and New Orleans having proved him right. I very recently became a member of the Zombie Squad and have a card saying so.

    If this wasn't enough to keep me busy, I'm also into steampunk, and love attending Dorian's monthly event. I love the clothing, the people and everything about the genre.

     My husband says he never sees me since I've retired, and if he does, I'm either writing, advocating or out with the kids. I can't help it, I'm flying, which brings us back to the title. It took me 62 years to get the courage to spread my wings and step off the cliff, I might come crashing down, but I might just stay airborne, and whatever happens, I won't give up. All I need is a good night's sleep....but there's that blog I need to read.

4 comments:

  1. Keep flying, that is why God gave you wings. Love you. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I understand all of the emotions (and exhaustion) that come from advocating. But we do what we know must be done. I like to use the taglines "Changing the world, one post at a time" and "Changing the world, one click at a time". I'm sure I'm not the first person to use those lines, but I've claimed them as my battle cries anyway.

    You're an awesome person for so many reasons, and your advocacy is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! Spread those wings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a terrific post, Marie! I'm very impressed with all you do and I'm still fascinated by this whole steampunk thing. I need to learn more about it! Keep going, you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete