Friday, October 11, 2013

Stand Up and Cheer



                                                                    



I was going to post about the two successful ghost investigations that my group did while in South Carolina, but I’ve decided to put that off for tomorrow’s post. I have a better post for today. It has to do with us baby boomers and how people identify with us; how we identify ourselves. Born in December of 1946, I witnessed many historical and newsworthy events; some good, some not. Unfortunately, I was part of the generation that witnessed the assassinations of Martin Luther King, John and Robert Kennedy; men who were killed for doing the right thing; the Vietnam War; civil rights movement; women’s liberation; the Beatles; the landing on the moon. I don’t have to list everything, but you get the gist.
                                                                      


My sister Lucy, the one who normally referees for Jane and I, asked me to join her at the Senior Center for their exercise program, and I wrote about my experience. Today in our Zumba Class, the instructor played Proud Mary by Ike and Tina Turner.



That got us all talking about the generation of famous movie and music stars who are in their 70’s or older and are still going strong. I have a friend, a fellow writer, Jack Flacco who does a weekly Wednesday “Women Who Wow” feature. Check out his site, he is amazing.

                                                                       
So are Zumba group and the instructor began talking about how Tina Turner can still dance even though she’s in her late seventies and the conversation went on from there and we began listing actresses that were still pretty active; dancing, acting, looking stunning, and we came up with a few names: Gina Lollobrigida, Sophia Loren, Rita Moreno, Betty White, Raquel Welch, Jane Fonda, Tina Turner, Cher, Jessica Lange, to name a few.

                                                                                  
                                                               
They are still beautiful, still quite active and an inspiration for the younger boomers to kick up our heels and rejoice that we are still healthy enough to be in a Zumba class or do belly dancing.
                                                                              

                                                 Live long and prosper, girlfriend!

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the mention, Marie! Great to know you have an awesome blog with all the cool things I love reading about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jack. I'm usually so busy writing for Biff Bam Pop, that I have to remind myself not to neglect my little blog

      Delete