Friday, September 18, 2015

When Religion Oversteps its Boundaries

                                                              
 

I saw this clip on Facebook the other day and copied it for this post. I strongly believe in a loving Creator. I feel that I am what I am today because of GOD. I also know that mixing religion and government is a bad idea no matter what religion we belong to.
                                                            

Religion is a good thing if the purpose of our religion is to love GOD and thank him for his good works by taking care of the gifts he’s given to us. As his creation, we are obligated to care for each other; friend and foe, alike. As stewards, we are obligated to keep the land and sea in the same pristine condition it was given to us. There are ways to be technological advanced and still work with nature. Believe me when I say it is possible. There are electric cars and even an electric hippie Volkswagen van that I’m dying to get.
                                                          


Religion is a bad thing when it demoralizes a person because of color, sexual identity, origin of birth, or looks. Religion is a bad thing: when used as a weapon to push a political agenda; when it treats women as property; when it’s used to control or isolate a group of people; when it’s used to start wars for personal gain; when it’s used as a cash cow to reap in tithings and not pay taxes.
                                                                
 
The Republican Candidates have over the last eight years used the subject of abortion, Planned Parenthood, women’s rights, immigration, and voters rights as a means of controlling people by claiming they are speaking for GOD. They do not. None of us can speak for GOD. And please, don’t try to shove the Bible into my face. I’ve read it many times and I’m positive Jesus never said any of the things people claim he said. The one thing he did say: “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.” The translation clearly means separation of church and state.                            
 
Right now, there are men in Congress who are using religion to take a needed medical service away from women. They want to defund Planned Parenthood. They say they are against abortion, but these very men have no qualms about sending our young men and women to die in wars they’ve started because of greed and of course that black gold called oil. If you’re against abortion, then you should also be against the death penalty and war. Retroactive abortion is the sending of our brave young men and women to their deaths to fight a war for  the pleasure of greedy old men.
                                                            
                         
I’ve discovered that not belonging to a particular church or religion is refreshing. I don’t need to hate people just because they’re sinners. I don’t have to judge people who think differently than I do. I don’t have to ostracize someone because they are poor, or gay, or like purple hair dye. As long as you live by the laws of the state, pay your taxes, don’t pollute my drinking water or kill honey bees with your toxic shit, I go by the principle: Live and Let Live. If you’re a child abuser or pedophile, all bets are off. Hide, because I will hurt you.
I think we need to remind our Congressmen that they work for all of the citizens of these United States. They are our employees. We are a diversified country with many religions, many colors, and many nationalities. Religion should be practiced in the churches or in your home. Do not force your narrow minded religious beliefs down my throat or make laws that affect a specific gender.
                                                           

You do not own my body. I do not own yours. Don’t force your beliefs down my throat and not pay your fair share of taxes. You want a say in government; put your money where your mouth is.
If we don’t change our ways, we are heading towards a Taliban reality where the powerful few distort the teachings of a loving and forgiving GOD.  

No comments:

Post a Comment