Sunday, October 12, 2014

Steampunk Granny Interviews John Farquhar, Contributing Author to Reading Glasses

                                                          
 
 
John Farquhar is a fellow member of the South Jersey Writers’ Group and he’s a published author with a story in Tall Tales and Short Stories from South Jersey called “Bad Day for Santa”. This past year, John published his book “What to Expect When You’re Dead” on Hypothetical Press. It is a humorous look at death and blending in with the afterlife crowd. John’s newest story called “The Icarus Option” is in the new anthology, Reading Glasses. John is a good friend of mine and I’m happy to introduce him to everyone


                                                               

Marie Gilbert: It’s so nice to chat with you John and as you know, I’m a big fan of your writing. What type of stories do you enjoy writing the most?
 
John Farquhar: I enjoy writing comedy. Often, I like my stories to have a satirical edge, but if I can create scenes of farce and celebrations of how deeply and unashamedly stupid we all are (myself included), that gives me the feeling of a job well done. 'The Icarus Option' is slightly darker than my usual style, but the same attitude to life is there, I think.

Marie Gilbert: What was the inspiration for this particular story?

John Farquhar: Like the main character, I saw Brueghel's painting 'The Fall of Icarus' when I was young, and loved it. It was also one of the few paintings that has ever made me laugh. Brueghel updates Icarus' fall (the landscape in his picture is Flemish, and the people are of his own time, not Greek), and I just wanted to continue this trend. Ovid's poem about Icarus was also one of the first Latin poems that I read in the original.

Marie Gilbert: Would you pick this type of death if you were very sick?

John Farquhar: I'd have to be an idiot....

Marie Gilbert: Tell us about your recently published book.

                                                                      


John Farquhar: 'What to Expect When You're Dead' has been selling pretty well among college students in particular. I haven't marketed it as forcefully as I should have, but I'm working on this and, when I re-read it, it still makes me laugh, which is a good sign.

 

Marie Gilbert: What other stories are you working on?

 

John Farquhar: The summer has been very productive and I am about to finish a book of twelve short stories, all connected to Ireland, called 'Taking Cathleen Home'. The original title was 'The Turd Man', but I wasn't sure if this was literary enough. 'The Turd Man' is the opening story and there is another story called 'Brave Fart' which I'm very proud of. Sad news, though: when I finished writing  'Brave Fart', my Muse came to me in a dream that very night, and shot herself. So, if anyone is involved with a Muse, and it isn't working out for the two of you, do send her to me. (I prefer my Muse to be female, but, what the Hell, if you have a guy who isn't doing it for you on the imaginative level, send the schmuck along. I'm Irish). This, indeed, is the point about the book: having been born in England, and currently living in America, I'm finally beginning to feel that Ireland is my home.

                                                                           


Marie Gilbert: Has belonging to a writer’s group helped you and why you would recommend it to others.

John Farquhar: I never thought I would find people more eccentric than I am, but I have found two so far in the SJWG. No praise could be higher. If you are not yet a member, join us, you hesitant weirdo, as soon you read this!

 

John, it’s been a true pleasure interviewing you again and I wish you best of luck on your new adventures. You can find Reading Glasses on Smashwords, for Kindle, Nook, iBook downloads and more.

                                                                    
 
and of course the first book in my apocalyptic tale with a twist, Roof Oasis. Stop by and say hello. My pet zombies will be there to greet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment