Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Greed, The Most Dangerous of the Seven

                                                       

We can all recite the list of deadly sins: pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, sloth, and greed, but do we really understand how dangerous these transgressions are to our spiritual growth and our psychic well-being?  Some people think that Pride is the sin from which all other sins stem from, but I beg to differ. I think Greed is the most serious of the seven.
 
What is sin?
Simple answer: It is the breaking of God’s law. It is a turning away from the light and following the darkness. Not everyone believes in the same God, but the Hebrew God gave Moses the Ten Commandments as a guideline to follow. Humans are not good at following orders, so the Son of God, Jesus, made the rules easier to follow. He shortened the Ten Commandments to two: “You shall love the LORD your GOD with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.” Okay that rule is easy, right? No! Did you forget that we have free will? The second rule that Jesus gave us was the deal breaker. “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

                                                           


“I don’t like my neighbor, so why should I love him?” the cry was raised by the people of HIS time and ours. I truly think that GOD has a great sense of humor. His requests are not hard to bear, but we grumble anyway, which brings me back to Greed.

While Pride is an over excessive belief in yourself to the point that nothing or no one can compare to your awesomeness (my description) Narcissists are definitely the perfect description of a prideful person. Pride is having a high opinion of oneself, which isn’t always bad. The trouble begins when a person refuses to change their ways because of pride. Proud people find it hard to admit when they are wrong and think that they are better than others, but even though they are quite obnoxious, they are not destructors. Greedy people on the other hand, are.

I want it. I need it, now. I want it, all!

“I want to water my lawn even though there is a severe drought in the Californian County that I live in. I want to water my lawn even though the law says not to. I’m rich and I don’t have to do what the poor people do!” That last quote was actually said my one of the wealthy people living close to where the forest fires were raging in Northern California. http://www.citylab.com/weather/2015/06/class-warfare-and-the-california-drought/395855/
                    

Who are these people? They are the new generation of selfish thinking, self-serving, acquisitionist who deem themselves above the laws of GOD and men. They love money and things more than moral or civil responsibilities. The gathering of wealth has made them deaf to the cries of the poor, to the state of our ecological sustainability, to the destruction of our and other species on this planet. They want it all and, because they do, they will: pollute our air, water, and food; they will cause a financial depression that our great, great grandchildren will still feel the effects of; they will take away human rights because of financial gain.

                                                         
In my opinion, GREED opens the door to wars, human trafficking, the methodical destruction of other species, dishonest banks, corporations hiding their money in order to avoid taxes and, my number one example, Corporations having more voting rights over the citizens of our country by making laws beneficial to their raking in money over the bodies of those who work for them. Citizens United is a fine example of GREED gone crazy. http://www.demos.org/publication/top-5-ways-citizens-united-harms-democracy-top-5-ways-we%E2%80%99re-fighting-take-democracy-back  
                                                         

We are all sharing this planet, together. In order for us as a species to grow and evolve, we need to turn away from the darkness and back to the CREATOR. Our psychic inner spirits will wither and die if we don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment