Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Frozen in Time

                                                        

I love the songs in Madonna’s Ray of Light Album. I think this album was written after the birth of her daughter. Madonna is still a wild child, but she is very maternal and I’ve always suspected sensitive to the spiritual world. One song, in particular, hit a cord with me, Frozen, and here are the lyrics

You only see what your eyes want to see
How can life be what you want it to be
You're frozen
When your heart's not open

You're so consumed with how much you get
You waste your time with hate and regret
You're broken
When your heart's not open

Mmmmmm, if I could melt your heart
Mmmmmm, we'd never be apart
Mmmmmm, give yourself to me
Mmmmmm, you hold the key

Now there's no point in placing the blame
And you should know I suffer the same
If I lose you
My heart will be broken

Love is a bird, she needs to fly
Let all the hurt inside of you die
You're frozen
When your heart's not open

Mmmmmm, if I could melt your heart
Mmmmmm, we'd never be apart
Mmmmmm, give yourself to me
Mmmmmm, you hold the key

You only see what your eyes want to see
How can life be what you want it to be
You're frozen
When your heart's not open

Mmmmmm, if I could melt your heart
Mmmmmm, we'd never be apart
Mmmmmm, give yourself to me
Mmmmmm, you hold the key

If I could melt your heart
Mmmmmm, we'd never be apart
Mmmmmm, give yourself to me
Mmmmmm, you hold the key

If I could melt your heart

Nice words, right. The melody is just as beautiful and, the song served as a Segway for this post on how we see the world around us. What is and what isn’t seen by the human eyes.
                                                               

What is it that we see or think we see that causes us to freeze up and disconnect from each other? We look at someone who is different than us: maybe they have tattoos; maybe they’re dressed in weird or scary clothing; maybe they’re skin is a shade darker, or lighter than ours and we give them a label to emphasize the difference, “THEM.”

By using only your eyes and not your mind or heart, we have with one stroke eliminated half the population from the collective “US.”
                                                             

 
By profiling a person, race or nationality using only the one sense, we are cheating ourselves out of evolving into a better “WE.”

I truly believe that the human race is still evolving, not as fast as we were meant to evolve; we are our own worst enemy. We, along with the entire universe, are connected as one. What happens here on Earth is felt on all levels; the cries of our children pulsate throughout the cosmos.

Our Creator made us to become like him. To be like him, we need to think like him and that simple act  of thinking like HIM puts to death all the hate spewed by organized religion.
                         
 
I read a book once called The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince) written in 1943 by a French aristocrat, writer, poet and pioneering aviator, Antoine de Saint-Exupery. There is one quote in the Little Prince that captured my soul the first time I read it. I think Madonna’s song is trying to say the same thing.

“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.”

If we are to continue evolving, if we are to survive as a race, if we are to return to the stars from which we came, we need to use our hearts more often and open wide our minds. Only then will we fulfill our destiny and what the Creator intended for us.
Listen to the song.


4 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Marie. Hoping that 2016 is a little more accepting, although I fear that hate will get stronger in this country as the election gets closer. :-/ Wishing you and Dan and your family a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy. Let's hope that common sense rules as the elections draw nearer. One can hope. Happy New Year to you and your family. Hope to see you soon.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Marie. I, too, read Le Petit Prince...in French. It was difficult. Thanks for summing up the beautiful belief that the prince learned. Madonna's lyrics are, as usual, very deep and very meaningful. Thanks again for a pithy post. All the best in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria. Your support means the world to me. Happy New Year to you and yours.

      Delete