Sunday, June 17, 2012

How to Pillage a Village



                                                                           
My ghost hunting friends and I headed to Mt. Holly, New Jersey to spend the day with some pirates. I was hoping to see Johnny Depp, but (insert long sigh, here.) I did meet some really nice people.
                                                                    
Jean, on the left, is our lead ghost hunter and Rita, on the right is our ghost whisperer. The young man in the middle is some poor soul we yanked off the trail.
                                                                        
There were lots of activities throughout the day, including several combats presented by the Society of Creative Anachronism. This is a living history movement where the members have a “hands-on” approach to history. The SCA period encompasses pre 17th century Western Europe with an emphasis on the middle Ages and Renaissance. Their site is www.sca.org

                                                                             
                               Here are some of the members performing.

                                                                                                                                     
We also met some members of the New Jersey Renaissance Fair. The lady in blue is Countess Spencer and the lady beside her is of noble blood, the Duchess of North Umberland.                  

                                                                        
The pirates on the street are part of the same group and they put on a wonderful show.
                                                                             
We decided to do some shopping while we waited for the Gypsy belly dancers to begin their act and I was lucky enough to run into a friend. Author Danielle Ackley-McPhail was there promoting her books. Please check out her site, www.badassfaeries.com and order some great books.
                                                                            
I finally found a pirate’s vest to use for my Steampunk persona, but I still need a few more items before the next Dorian’s Parlor in September. Here I am with my friends.
                                                                                                                             
                We can never stop in Mt. Holly without going to the Ghost Hunter Store.
                                                          
                             We did some shopping and I said hello to a friend.
                                                         

2 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun, Marie. I miss my days of living in Southern California, and the Renaissance Fairs in Highland. Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun and thank you for reading my blog. I'm happy that it brought back pleasant memories for you.

      Delete