Friday, June 15, 2012

Part Twenty of Lilith's Escape




                                                            

“Did he bite you?” Lilith repeated.

Edward kept his gun aimed at her, watching as she pushed back her hood to reveal her face. “No,” he replied.
                                                                  
“Good or I would have been forced to kill you.”

“Stay where you are,” Edward ordered, as Lilith moved towards him, but she ignored his command and the gun pointed at her.

“Would you really shoot me?” she asked.

Edward stood motionless as she reached out and moved the gun away from her chest. With his gun out of her way, she stood on her toes and kissed him gently on the lips.
                                                                           
“What is he?” Edward asked when Lilith removed her lips from his. It took all his control to keep his arms by his side, his desire for her too strong to ignore.

“He is what I’m trying to prevent from happening in the future. This is a genetically engineered zombie and he was sent here to kill you.”
                                                              
                                                                   
Edward’s glance went to the dead man and then back to the woman before him. “What are you and what does this have to do with the man I’m looking for?”

She let out a sigh. “Let me remove this, before I explain,” she said pointing to the dead man lying at their feet.

Edward watched as she slid her sword from its leather scabbard and touched the body. There was a flash of light so bright that Edward was forced to shield his eyes with his good arm.
                                                               
          When he lowered his arm he saw that the zombie was gone. The bloods stains on the rug were the only proof of the ungodly visitor.

After sheathing her sword, Lilith removed her cloak and let it fall to the floor. She undid her armor and dropped it next to her cloak, but as she did so, she winced. Dressed only in a flimsy linen drape, she placed her arms around his waist and her head against his chest.
                                                     
     Edward kept his arms at his side and a tight grip on the gun while trying to fight the urge to take her into his embrace.

“What are you?”

She kept her face hidden at his chest. “I’m an immortal. Hold me Edward.”

“Are you a god?” he asked and nudged her away from his body in order to look into her eyes.

“No...but I was  designed by one.”
                                                               
Edward felt the bitter taste of bile work its way up his throat. “Are you the first wife of Adam?”
                                                           
“I am that woman, but I was never his wife.”

“Then you’re a demon,” he replied .

“I’m no demon.” She tried to move back into his arms.
                                                              
“Then, what are you?” Edward asked as he took a step back from her.

“I am a planet seeder, created way before man evolved to take his place on earth.”

                                                                          
He tightened his grip on the trigger; his fear of her was stronger than that of the zombie.

“Go on,” he urged her.

“I was sent to the earth man, to increase the survival rate of future generations” she replied softly.
                                                                        
“But, that didn’t happen,” he countered.

 “I fell in love with another and would not stay with the man.”
                                                        
The sound of loud thumping filled the room and at first Edward was unable to identify the source. His heart was beating so fast that he felt light headed, but he needed to know more.

“So you ran away?”
                                                                    
“Yes, I'm so cold, please hold me," she pleaded, but when Edward made no move to embrace her, she continued speaking,. "Another was formed to take my place, but she was unable to stop the man from joining forces with the enemy.”
                                                                       
“Who is creating the zombies?” he asked.

“Hold me in your arms and I will tell you everything.” She raised her hand and touched his cheek.

All thoughts of the past few days seemed to fade away as he looked into eyes. She was telling the truth, but how he knew this as fact, he couldn’t say.
                                                                      
“Hold me, Edward. I’m so very cold,” she pleaded, but in a weaker tone.

     He took her into his arms and held her tight. He was surprised at how cold her skin felt. “Who is this man you have me searching for?” 

     There were was no reply. She had gone limp in his arms and when he tried to lift her, he noticed the blood on his hand.
                                                                







2 comments:

  1. Whoa, Marie. You've got me there. You, know, I think this would make an awesome graphic novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mieke. I'm always afraid that my stories are too dark, but Lilith is losely based on the trilogy that I'm working on.

      Delete