Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Little Science and an Old Childhood Song


                                                              


This past Tuesday, my friends and I went to the Cape May Zoo and we had the best time.
                                                             
                                               Saw some of my favorite animals
                                                                
                                              and one that I wasn’t expecting.
                                                                
I began to sing the song that I had learned at summer camp to my friends, who by now have grown accustomed to my strange outbursts.
                                                                      
             The woman behind us remembered the song too and joined in.
                                                                          
                               So here are some fun facts for you to enjoy.
                                                                           
The Kookaburra is the largest member of the Kingfisher family and comes from Australia and New Zealand. Even though you would expect with a name like kingfisher, that the bird would love to eat fish, it doesn’t. Their habitats, found in open forests and woodlands, offer a different menu.

They like to eat reptiles, rodents and frogs. They wait patiently until able to grab their prey and then the Kookaburra will fly the food up to a tree where it proceeds to whack the heck out of the animal against a branch.

                               This not only kills the food, but tenderizes it.
                                                                      
Does anyone remember the song about the Kookaburra?

This is the way I remember it:

Kookaburra sitting in the old gum tree

Eating all the gum drops he can see

Stop Kookaburra, stop Kookaburra

Save some gumdrops for me.

Kookaburra sitting in the old gum tree

Counting all the monkeys, he can see

Stop Kookaburra, stop Kookaburra

That’s no monkey, that’s me.

Please feel free to send me the version that you know.

Have a great weekend, “Go Play”

No comments:

Post a Comment